WE ARE CONSIDERING OFFERING A CT SCANNING SERVICE AT A SITE FURTHER SOUTH eg EXETER AND ONE FURTHER NORTH eg THAINSTONE. IF YOU WOULD BE INTERESTED IN BRINGING LAMBS TO ONE OF THESE SITES PLEASE LET US KNOW ASAP, WITH INFORMATION ON WHAT TIME OF YEAR WOULD SUIT YOUR LAMBS AND ROUGHLY THE SORT OF NUMBERS YOU WOULD BRING. IF THERE IS ENOUGH INTEREST WE CAN LOOK INTO MAKING ARRANGEMENTS FOR THIS.
Click here to read the latest leaflet from SRUC detailing the CT scanning services they offer both in Edinburgh and with their new mobile scanning unit.
The CT scanning dates at specific locations are listed in the table below. Please note that the mobile scanner has been provisionally booked for these dates but, as usual, we need to have a minimum of 100 lambs over 2 days for each scanning session with the mobile scanner. Numbers at Edinburgh are more flexible.
CT Scanning Dates 2018
|Scan Date||Scan site||Target Breed Closing Date|
|30th April – 1st May||Edinburgh||Charollais / Hampshire Down|
|9th – 10th May||Stoneleigh||Charollais / Hampshire Down|
|4th – 6th June||Edinburgh||Suffolk|
|4th – 5th July||Stoneleigh||Texel / Suffolk / Charollais|
|9th – 10th July||Edinburgh||Texel / Suffolk / Charollais|
|13th – 15th August||Edinburgh||Texel / Beltex|
|21st August||Aberystwyth||Texel / Suffolk|
|22nd – 23rd August||Aberystwyth||Innovis Lambs|
|10th – 11th September||Thorganby / Edinburgh||Meatlinc|
|24th September||Edinburgh||Texel / Suffolk|
Please note, any eligible breed can be scanned on any of the dates above providing SRUC is notified in advance. Contact Kirsty to enquire, email: [email protected]
Signet closing dates for CT data for all CT scanned breeds can be seen below – please ensure your lambs are booked into the correct scanning session.
|Breed||Signet closing dates for data|
|Hampshire Down||7th May 2018|
|3rd September 2018|
|Charollais||11th May 2018|
|29th August 2018|
|Suffolk||8th June 2018|
|3rd August 2018|
|5th October 2018|
|Texel||11th July 2018|
|23rd August 2018|
|5th October 2018|
|Beltex||17th July 2018|
|17th August 2018|
|Meatlinc||23rd August 2018|
|7th September 2018|
CT Scan Charges
CT scan charges are normally subsidised by the relevant bodies.
The subsidy will apply to male lambs only and will be for a minimum of 5 lambs per flock, with a selection of sires represented.
- AHDB will again subsidise CT scanned lambs at £55 per lamb
- Cost to breeder (Edinburgh) – £10/lamb
- Cost to breeder (Stoneleigh/Aberystwyth) – £39/lamb
- Cost to breeder (Thorganby) – £39/lamb*
- QMS will subsidise 50% of the CT charge
- HCC will subsidise 50% of the CT charge for up to 10 lambs per flock
*subject to change
Are your lambs eligible for CT scanning and the relevant subsidy?
- A minimum of 5 lambs from each flock is required to allow evaluations to be as accurate as possible.
- A maximum of 15 lambs per flock or 10 lambs per flock if a breeder has lambs to be scanned from more than one flock.
- Only male lambs are eligible for subsidy but we are happy to scan both males and females
- Lambs must be starved for a minimum of 4 hours before scanning
- Ideally lambs should be back-fat scanned before they come for CT
- Lambs should be around 20 – 24 weeks of age at CT scanning. Lambs as young as 17 weeks can be brought for CT scanning if they are well grown
- Lamb numbers per day are flexible in Edinburgh but a full day (around 35-40 lambs) is preferred to make good use of our time and the facility
- Other scan sites have been booked for a minimum of 2 days at each session. We must have 50 lambs per day, booked in for scanning, to enable a session to go ahead
- Numbers for the mobile scanner must be finalised 10 days before the scan date. Lambs withdrawn after this time will be charged at the full unsubsidised rate.
To book your place, or to enquire about CT scanning your lambs, contact Kirsty
Email: [email protected]