The RamCompare flock consists of second-tier ewes drafted from Duncan’s pedigree Signet-recorded Lleyn flock.
- Lambs recorded: 2268 over three years
- 550ha upland family farm
- Large organic sheep enterprise of 2,000 Lleyn ewes
- Lambs are born in March/April and are finished from ten weeks using clover-rich leys
- Lambs from achieve growth rates up to weaning of over 0.3kg/day
- EID and strict grassland management are instrumental to their productive system
Key finding: “We were already using recorded terminal sires but since being involved in this project we have been clearly shown the benefit of using high index recorded rams. Over the last three years lambs have consistently killed out with heavier carcases when drawn at the same weight, and are not killing out as fat which means a higher percentage of carcases fall into the 2-3L specification. Through our involvement in this project we are certainly convinced of the importance of a rams individual EBVs and would choose future replacement rams based on this.” Duncan Nelless.