- Lambs recorded 2184 over three years
- At Buccleuch’s Bowhill Estate (5,463ha); trial ewes form part of a sheep enterprise extending to 6,800 breeding ewes
- Aberfield x Scottish Blackfaced ewes are used within the project, rearing an average 1.76 with all progeny sold fat
- Lambing indoors in March, lambs are weighed every fortnight from June
- After weaning lambs move to red clover leys or silage aftermath for finishing
- Lambs are selected at 40kg live-weight aiming for minimum R3L carcase
Key finding: “Participation in the project allows us to assess what has been achieved to date on the farm and connect that to the sheep industry. We can understand and learn as a business and provide the industry with real on-farm data for future business decisions. We want to be able to determine what difference a ram can make to the efficiency and productivity of a flock to ensure sustainability through tough times.” Sion Williams.