New breeding tools will help beef farmers boost profits Read more...
RamCompare project delivers new Breeding Values for carcase traits Read more...
Signet Meetings for Terminal Sire Breeders Read more...
RamCompare Update: Free semen available to pedigree breeding flocks Read more...
There are a number of factors to consider when buying a ram using performance records:
- Set breeding objectives that will optimise the profitability of your flock
- Talk to the ram breeder about your requirements
- Select rams with the right Estimated Breeding Values (EBVs) to realise these objectives
- Review their EBVs using the search engine
- Compare each ram’s EBVs against the Breed Benchmark to identify their strengths and weaknesses
- Remember EBVs can be compared between flocks, but not between breeds
- Buy early to ensure the availability of a wide selection of recorded rams
- It pays to invest. The difference between an average ram and one with high EBVs could be worth £500 during its lifetime.
- Look after the health and nutritional requirements of your ram to ensure he has a long productive life
In this section
- Technical Information
- Why is Genetic Improvement Important?
- Selecting the Right Ram
- Estimated Breeding Values
- Interpreting Estimated Breeding Values
- Breeding Indexes
- Accuracy Values
- Ultrasound Scanning
- Computed Tomography (CT) Scanning
- Ram Buying Tips
- Performance Recording your Pedigree flock
- Electronic Data Transfer
- Downloading EBV's from the Internet
- Inbreeding - How to Manage it
- Inbreeding - Publications and Resources
- Recessive Inherited Diseases
- On-line Training Package
- Filling in your Ram Sale Cards
- Marketing Breeding Sheep for Better Returns
- Breeding Fit for Purpose Rams - a Blueprint for Breeders
- Print EBV Sale Charts Online
- Recording Lambing Ease and Birth Weight