Signet’s new genetic analysis: The National Terminal Sire Evaluation Read more...
New breeding tools will help beef farmers boost profits Read more...
RamCompare project delivers new Breeding Values for carcase traits Read more...
Signet Meetings for Terminal Sire Breeders Read more...
Recording Lambing Ease
Traits influencing lambing ease have a genetic component and Signet breeders now have the opportunity to record both lambing ease and birth weight
Scores relate to each lamb – so two lambs can have different scores. If you are unsure as to whether a lambing event has been assisted, leave the record blank. Blank scores are interpreted as “no score” rather than “no difficulty”. Score as many lambs as possible, including dead lambs.
Scores are as follows:
1 = no assistance
2 = slight assistance by hand
3 = severe assistance
4 = non-surgical veterinary assistance
5 = veterinary assistance, surgery required
6 = elective caesarean
Recording Birth Weight
The birth weight of a lamb will influence how easily it is born.
Lambs should be weighed with 48 hours of birth. Weights should be measured, not estimated.
Breeders should indicate whether weights are taken in metric or imperial units. The recording of this trait is optional, but is required if lambing ease scores are to be used in future analyses
More information is provided in our fact sheet Recording Lambing Ease and Birth Weight
In this section
- Technical Information
- Why is Genetic Improvement Important?
- Selecting the Right Ram
- Estimated Breeding Values
- Interpreting Estimated Breeding Values
- Breeding Indexes
- Accuracy Values
- Ultrasound Scanning
- Computed Tomography (CT) Scanning
- Ram Buying Tips
- Performance Recording your Pedigree flock
- Electronic Data Transfer
- Downloading EBV's from the Internet
- Inbreeding - How to Manage it
- Inbreeding - Publications and Resources
- Recessive Inherited Diseases
- On-line Training Package
- Filling in your Ram Sale Cards
- Marketing Breeding Sheep for Better Returns
- Breeding Fit for Purpose Rams - a Blueprint for Breeders
- Print EBV Sale Charts Online
- Recording Lambing Ease and Birth Weight